Diabetic Friends


People usually become friends with another person when they have something in common – when they click. It could be something simple like both enjoy running, or both play soccer. Or it could be more complex such as their grandparents happened to be in the war together. It could be something like they enjoy the same music, or share the same friends. Whatever the commonality is, it sparks a new friendship that could last a lifetime.
Friends from Kids Bearskin Diabetic Camp - (from left to right) Bobbie, me, Sierra, and Mia.
A friendship “starter” example less common than most could be both having diabetes. As you could have guessed it, this directly relates to a personal experience of mine.

Diabetes hasn’t done too much good for me, and to be frank, it hasn't made my life any easier or better; but one thing I really do appreciate is that through diabetes, I have been given the opportunity and chance at meeting other passionate and hardworking people who share the same experiences (disease) as me. When I meet other diabetics, I am able to connect with them on a level I’m not able to with my “regular” friends.

Not that us diabetics only talk about diabetes when we hang out, but just knowing you’re with someone that understands on a first person basis makes it easier to connect with them.

For example, I have gone to this camp known as "Bearskin Meadows Diabetic Camp" twice - once in 2010, and another in 2012. There, I was able to be surrounded by hundreds of other kids just like me! Being able to be in an environment where I was with people who knew exactly what I was going through was truly eye opening.
My first Diabetic Camp, 2010.
In fact, I met some of my best friends there - one being the Mia Smith. Mia and I actually met because our brothers became good friends at Family Camp. After being introduced to one another, we were inseparable for the rest of the trip - we met up again two years later at Kids Camp.


People like Mia are what makes being a diabetic... bearable (somewhat). I was fortunate enough to be able to attend Bearskin Meadows Diabetic Camp, and wouldn't be the person I am today without that experience and without knowing Mia.
When I went to visit Mia in Livermore summer of 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment