Change


Change has played an important role all my life. I have gone to three different elementary schools, played on six different soccer teams, two swim teams, two high schools so far – and it’s only my freshman year!, etc. Unlike me, most kids only go to one, maybe two elementary schools and stick at the same high school for their four years, and so on. And although my parents have made/acted on most of those decisions, I agreed with them and wanted to change, too. But recently I thought to myself, why. Why do I always want a change? Why can’t I just stick to one swim team, one soccer team? And most importantly, why am I never that effected when changing? Why don’t I feel a special connection, or bond to one school or team?

And of course, it all came back to diabetes.

Diabetes has been like a rollercoaster all of my life. My family was comfortable with the way we are before I was diagnosed. Everything was “normal”. But when diabetes came around it flipped my family’s life around. Yet, we’re all doing fine today. So although there was a drastic change to my family, it ended up not being that big of a deal (understatement) and we’ve adjusted just fine.

Because everything in my life is constantly changing, I think it has caused me to not become so attached to anything, which can be a good and bad thing. But that isn’t what this post about. This post is about how diabetes has made me not fear change and learn how to charge head first into new possibilities and changes, which I am thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment