It Just Kinda Sucks Having Diabetes Sometimes

Sometimes it just hits me how much diabetes can affect my life. I mean... something just happens and I just go, "Wow. I'm going to have to deal with this kind of thing the rest of my life."

This past weekend, I went to my first cross country meet of the season. It was an easy 2-mile race. Not bad, I had been conditioning and practicing for the past two weeks - I was ready for the race!

I get on the start line, ready to go. The gun goes off, I sprint and quickly get to the start of the pack. All I have to do is keep my place. Quickly, I wear down... two girls pass me.... then four more... then ten. While I keep getting passed, I stay optomistic and keep a steady pace.

Suddenly, I face the most gigantic hill I have ever seen. Steepest too. I have always run up hills, bumps, levies - you name it - in races. But I physically could not run up. I walk. More girls pass me. I can't run anymore. I feel so worn out, so tired.


Bad races aren't uncommon to me. Getting passed by my competitors isn't either. I'm definitely not the fastest runner, and I'm far from the best! However, the tiredness and lagging I felt during the race was unexplainable.

Feeling let down after the race, I head back to my parents and check to see what my blood sugar is on Dexcom. "High. Going two arrows up." My blood sugar was literally too high for Dexcom to tell me what it is. I test. 560. Great.



I never want to use Diabetes as an excuse for bad behavior, or in this case, bad running. However, I know that diabetes effected my running as my time was FOUR TO FIVE MINUTES SLOWER than every. other. race. I've. ever. run.!

It just kinda sucks having diabetes sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment