TAKING THE SAT/ACT WITH DIABETES

As mentioned endless times throughout this blog, diabetics face endless challenges daily. I can verify this statement with personal experience. But what's more difficult, tiring, and stressful than being a Type 1 Diabetic? Being a high schooler bombarded with the stress of future and college.

With that said, as a high school junior, I've been presented with more and more obstacles and tasks I need to complete for college - one thing specifically is taking standardized tests such as the SAT and ACT.

However, being a diabetic adds more work and stress for me. While I manage my diabetes relatively well, within range, and steadily, the inevitable fact is that my blood sugars do what my blood sugars want to do.

What this essentially means is that during important moments in my life, such as taking the SAT or ACT, my blood sugar may spike up or down, causing my performance to go down and not effectively reflecting my true score.

For any diabetics preparing to take the SAT or ACT, here are some tips I have for you!

1. Discuss your options with your counselor! 
If you feel like you need to be in a special testing room where you can take breaks as needed, test your blood sugar without stress, etc. then there are options for you! IF YOU HAVE A 504 PLAN, YOU DEFINITELY HAVE TESTING ACOMMODATIONS AVAILABLE! If not, you probably still do! Either way, talk to your counselor to find out more.

2. Be prepared with snacks 
This one is big! When taking the test, with or without accommodations, it is important that you bring snacks and food items that will bring your blood sugar up FAST! Tablets are an obvious one, but other one that I have found work for me include:

  • TABLET JUICE 
  • CLIFF BARS!!!
  • Fruit snacks 
  • Apple sauce squeeze 
  • Juice box
  • Sweet fruit such as mango and grapes 
3. Dress comfortably and get a good nights rest! 
This one isn't just for diabetics, but for everyone! Make sure to get a good nights rest. Don't study the day before - it won't do much, just stress you out! Go to sleep at 9, get the full eight to nine hours of sleep! Do not stay up all night binge watching Netflix! 

Hopefully this helps out many non-diabetics with the stress of college, testing, and having diabetes! 
While I'm not the greatest at these tests, but diabetes won't be the reason I receive a poor score! 

No comments:

Post a Comment