Twelve Years

Fifteen years old. That is the age of most people entering the tenth grade. Celebrating finishing their first year of high school. Going to their first summer camp, getting your first job. At fifteen, most people beat their track record, or just made a few new friends. Were named the team captain, or awarded a science fair certificate. At fifteen years old, most teenagers do not think “hey – I’ve had diabetes for twelve years!”, that is… except for me.  

Twelve years of having diabetes has taught me a lot. It had taught me how to be strong – mentally and physically. Looking back on the years, I can honestly say that diabetes has had one of the biggest impacts of me in making me the person I am today, shaping the way I see the world, and deal with everyday problems. Diabetes has effected me in small ways, as well as big, from the way I approach situations to dealing with large obstacles. Without diabetes, I wouldn’t be the strong, independent, and hard-headed girl I am today. I wouldn’t be the determined and responsible student I am, the understanding and (sometimes) irrational friend I tend to be. Diabetes has taught me that anything can happen to anyone, as well as the importance of getting what you want, that sometimes you have to suffer a little to get the outcome you deserve, and although everything may not always go your way, the journey is worth the ending.

Although when I first meet people who find out that I have diabetes, their first reaction is to feel bad/sorry for me, the fact of the matter is that I’m glad that I have diabetes. Many people that deal with a life-consuming disease don’t usually think that. Of course I absolutely hate having diabetes, but because I know and have faith that there will be a cure before I know it, so for now I’m glad that I have had it because it has shaped me into the person I am today. Diabetes has helped me in so many ways and I can’t imagine my life without diabetes, but I sure as hell can’t wait (to see what it will be like).

No comments:

Post a Comment