Day Trips With Type 1 Diabetes

Scrolling through Instagram, picture after picture after picture popped up of my peers exploring San Fransisco. The Golden Gate Bridge. Crissy Field. Japanese Tea Garden. The list was endless.

I looked around my room. My open laptop with Brooklyn Nine-Nine was displayed on the screen. Bad Suns playing faintly in the background. Pajamas on me. I was wasting away the few days of winter break I had. 

Opening messages, I texted my friend, "When are we going to SF?" We had planned taking a trip before, but it never happened. But I was inspired. We had the time, the place, the availability - there were no more excuses. 


After figuring out the logistics, plan, and details, I appealed to my parents. With their approval, the plan was soon in motion. 

So yeah! I had the awesome (not sure how else to describe this) opportunity to go to San Francisco with my friend, and we did! It was lots of fun, but we'll get into that later. Long story short though, while it was fun, there was some diabetic planning involved. Let's get into all of that fun jazz now! 

I planned e v e r y t h i n g 
Okay, so when I say "everything" I literally mean everything. Before the trip, I asked my friend what exactly she wanted to do. With both of our ideas in mind, I basically mapped out the whole day for us. What times we would be in Union Square, how we would get over to the conservatory, which bus would take us to the bridge... everything. So 99% of the reason why I did this is because I am a bit (if didn't notice) ~~OCD~~


Buuuut the second reason for my over planning was because I wanted my parents to know everything in case of an emergency. They'd know a rough estimate of where we were, what we probably would've been doing, etc. This is important, especially as a diabetic because emergencies can happen, and it's important to be prepared! 

What I packed 
Let's get into the good stuff now - what I packed. I brought, of course, my glucagon. This is essential. And make sure your traveling buddy knows what it is, where it is located, and --->how to use it<---. 

Other than that, I packed two backup pumpsites, a tube (10) tablets, snacks (2 granola bars, 2 apple sauces), and my test kit (I also wore my Dexcom).

How I bolus throughout the day, keep blood sugars stable, and all that fun jazz 
I guess one of the biggest problems diabetics have to deal with is making sure their glucose levels are stable, especially when traveling. 

My friend and I actually used public transportation, walking, and biking all day, which meant a lot of exercising, which as many of you know - often cause levels to dip. 

So first of all, I suggest always bolusing at least 30 minutes before a meal. For example, if you're looking for somewhere to eat, maybe bolus then, or once you get into the restaurant and are waiting for food. This will eliminate the whole "I'm too high to eat right now" problem.


Additionally, bring snacks, and lots of them. This is important for if you're walking around and don't want to have to stop for a meal and your BG is going down. An alternative is to order meals that you know you can take to go. Or in my case, I ordered an omlet for breakfast which came with a bagel. Perfect! I packed the bagel to go and ate it throughout the day. 

I'd also suggest to take advantage of Dexcom or some kind of continuous glucose monitor! A livesaver. I cannot emphasize enough. 

Remember to have fun!
Obviously, don't faint or go too high. But honestly, at the end of the day, so what if your blood sugar goes up a little too much, or you dip? If you're safe, make sure to be safe, and correct correctly, have fun! Don't obsess about diabetes!! 


I had a great time with my friend and I'm so glad I had the resources and support system to get me to a point in my diabetic journey to confidently travel far away and take advantage of this traveling opportunity! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment