Insecurities

As a diabetic, I face many challenges (as you've probably read extensively through my blog). But as a teenager, one of the most difficult ones I face is my insecurities associated with my disease.

Let me explain...

As you probably know, I have to constantly change my pump site and Dexcom. Because there is a limited amount of space on my body, the two sites sometimes end up on the same place - my stomach. This usually wouldn't be a big deal; however, in the summer when I go swimming and wear bikinis, it can often make me feel uncomfortable and even more exposed:

As you can see, it's pretty obvious and clear to everyone. 

I just feel like more people look at me and wonder what it is, which is understandable. But it's just an insecurity that I have to deal with as a diabetic in the summer!

A way I fix this problem is that when I know I'm going to go swimming, I make an effort to put my pump and Dexcom sites somewhere other than my stomach!

So that's my shpill for you today and your insight into a T1D's mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment